Call for Applications: Southern Discourse EditorAug 30th, 2012 | By IWCA Web Editor | Category: Archives
The Southeastern Writing Center Association (SWCA) is seeking applications for an editor or editorial team for Southern Discourse, the only regional writing center publication. The term is a five-year appointment, beginning February 2013 with the first independent issue to be published fall 2014.
The selected editor or editorial team will continue the tradition of Southern Discourse and guide the publication into the future through energetic leadership and vision. Published twice a year, the journal will grow into a new format and a double-blind peer reviewed process, publishing scholarly work in the writing center field. The editor(s) should consider Southern Discourse’s tradition of mixed approaches to writing such as Back to the Center, reviews of conference sessions and books, as well as tutors’ voices, scholarly reflections, and interviews in designing a new vision.
Editorial responsibilities include publishing two issues (fall and spring) per year, consistent communication with the board, participation in SWCA conferences, and attendance at board meetings. The editor is a voting member of SWCA’s executive board and will contribute to organization decisions.
Interested applicants should have the following qualifications:
- publications and expertise in the field of writing center administration and theory
- experience in related fields, such as rhetoric and composition, writing programs, digital media, multimodal communication, or community college and secondary writing centers
- familiarity with the current Southern Discourse and a vision for future directions
- current SWCA membership and employment at an institution in the southeast
- strong editorial, organizational, interpersonal skills
- prior editorial and review experience; peer-review management experience strongly preferred
- knowledge of the publishing, layout, printing, and overall production process
- strong institutional support
Interested applicants should submit the following documents:
- Sample of published writing
- Response to a sample or actual manuscript
- Letter of commitment from a Dean, Chair, Director, or administrator on your campus outlining institutional support regarding time, money, and resources
- Cover letter outlining editor’s vision for Southern Discourse, including special issues, guest-edited volumes, format, and the publishing and printing process
Applications should be submitted to Russell Carpenter at email@example.com by October 1, 2012.