Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning
Elon University seeks a managing director for the Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning.
Elon’s Center, established in 2005, promotes engaging, inclusive, and effective teaching, and the scholarship of teaching and learning. The Center provides a focus for the University’s vibrant teaching community, bringing faculty and staff together from across the institution to explore innovative pedagogy and to pursue research on student learning. The Center’s programming includes seminars and workshops, individual consultations, mid-semester focus groups, course and curriculum development projects, and grant programs.
The managing director will:
· Lead and contribute to faculty development programs that build capacity for and community around excellence in teaching and engaged learning;
· Manage the programs, operations, staff, and budget of the Center;
· Collaborate with the Center’s staff and its Advisory Committee to develop and enact the Center’s mission;
· Consult with individual faculty members in their efforts to be inclusive, effective, and innovative teacher-scholars;
· Work in partnership with departments, programs, and schools/colleges on pedagogical and curricular initiatives on engaged, inclusive teaching and learning;
· Advance and support scholarly teaching and the scholarship of teaching and learning;
· Participate in and facilitate University-wide initiatives on teaching and learning;
· Connect Elon with regional, national and international organizations and initiatives on teaching and learning and faculty development.
The successful candidate should possess:
· A compelling vision for sustaining and growing a teaching and learning center in a manner consistent with Elon’s mission and culture;
· Experience facilitating faculty development programs linked to teaching, learning, and curricular initiatives;
· Relevant administrative experience;
· A strong record as a teacher-scholar in higher education;
· Knowledge of best practices in learning and program assessment;
· Connections to national or international networks in teaching, learning, the scholarship of teaching and learning, and/or faculty development.
· A terminal degree.
The Managing Director will work closely with a wide range of University constituencies, including the Directors of General Studies, Writing Across the University, and Teaching and Learning Technologies, as well as with deans, departments and interdisciplinary programs, and faculty at all phases of their academic career. The Managing Director will hold a full-time 12-month position starting June 1 and will report to the Assistant Provost for Teaching and Learning/Executive Director of the Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning. S/he should expect to teach one course per year and will be eligible for a faculty appointment in an academic department at Elon.
Elon University is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff and student body and welcomes all applicants.
Learn more about CATL at www.elon.edu/e-web/academics/teaching/catlHome.xhtml and more about Elon University at http://www.elon.edu.
Applications should include a cover letter, c.v., and three letters of reference and be received by December 1, 2012 to be assured of consideration. To apply for the position, go to https://www.elon.edu/employment, where you should set up an account so that you can submit materials on-line. If you have questions, please contact Mary Jo Festle, chair of the search committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.