Writing Program Coordinator, UC Berkeley (Deadline: February 21, 2014)Feb 17th, 2014 | By IWCA Web Editor | Category: Positions
Job Title: Writing Program Coordinator (4551U) #17390
Job ID: 17390
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: February 21, 2014
The University of California at Berkeley, Student Learning Center (SLC) seeks an experienced, innovative, and visionary professional to co-coordinate its Writing program. The Writing Program Coordinator will join a team of professional staff in a multidisciplinary academic support center.
Founded in 1973, SLC is the primary academic support unit for the University and has served over 80,000 students.
• Serves over 8,500 undergraduates annually.
• Employs 18 professional staff with disciplinary expertise, 250-300 undergraduate peer tutors and 20 graduate student instructors.
• Offers academic services for undergraduates training in the disciplines of Mathematics, Physical and Biological Sciences, Social Science, Humanities and interdisciplinary areas of study (e.g. African American Studies, American Studies, Disabilities Studies, Ethnic Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Media Studies, Cognitive Science, Peace and Conflict Studies.)
• Formats of Service: Study Groups, Topical Workshops, By-Appointment Tutoring, Drop-In Tutoring and Individual Tutoring
• Serves as the liaison between the University administration and the DeCal program that adds over 300 additional courses to the University’s academic curriculum.
• Offers pedagogical support and training to Cal undergraduates interested in or currently facilitating DeCal courses or other student-initiated courses through the Undergraduate Course Facilitator Training and Resources Program.
• Advises and mentors the Leadership of Campus Honor Societies .
• Manages the University’s Summer Bridge Program, a rigors six-week academic residential program for entering freshmen.
• Operates the SPEAR Middle School Scholar Academy, tailored to the academic and social development of middle school students.
The position entails addressing the diverse academic writing needs of students as they transition into the University and move across and within academic disciplines. The incumbent must have specific knowledge of and experience working with a racially, economically, geographically, linguistically diverse student populations. The writing coordinator is responsible for managing, designing, and implementing effective tutorial programs that engage scholars in an active and reflective writing process; supervising of 60+ undergraduate and graduate tutors; developing innovative tutor training curriculum grounded in learning assistance theory, critical pedagogy, and composition theory and leveraging educational technology and multi-media when appropriate; managing a 75K budget; and creating partnerships with faculty, academic departments and other student service units. In addition, the incumbent must possess experience assessing and evaluating academic support programs.
Six years experience teaching and/or tutor training, managing and administering academic support programs. Possess a thorough knowledge of learning assistance theory, critical pedagogy, and composition theory for both developmental composition and writing within and across disciplines. Demonstrated experience and cultural competency working with racially, economically and geographically diverse student populations as well as first generation students; possess knowledge of learning center theory and experience working in a highly competitive research institution.
Salary & Benefits
Annual salary range: $57,000 – $84,600 (midpoint)
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.