Writing Center Coordinator, Claflin UniversityMay 5th, 2014 | By IWCA Web Editor | Category: Positions
The Department of English & Foreign Languages at Claflin University seeks an innovative and energetic a full-time Writing Center Coordinator who will assist the Director in providing in providing writing services to clients with expansive writing ability and needs. The coordinator will serve as the primary clerical administrator, teach First-Year composition and participate in the training of 12-16 paid undergraduate peer consultants. The ideal candidate will hold an M.A. in English with preferable concentrations in Writing Studies or Creative Writing. He or she should have an understanding of the day-to-day tasks of working in a Writing Center.
· Managing operations of the Writing Center.
· Monitoring targeted academic resources such as tutoring and computer-assisted remediation
· Preparing outcomes assessment to further develop center offerings; set goals and objectives, which support the University’s strategic plan
· Creating, implementing and delivering seminars, workshops and other programs to meet the needs of students and faculty
· Collaborating with academic departments and other units to design, execute and improve center offerings
· Overseeing promotional material development and center communications utilizing various media formats
· Preparing analytical and statistical reports for institutional assessment
· Managing peer consultants and department budget
· Seeking additional funding by identifying new revenue sources and grants
· Performing related duties as assigned.
Claflin University, which is located in Orangeburg, SC, is a Historically Black University with a rich 145 year history. The institution is an equal opportunity employer and faculty salaries are competitive.
Melissa Berry Pearson, PhD
Assistant Professor, English
Director, Writing Center