The Department of Writing and Rhetoric at the University of Central Florida (UCF) seeks a Writing Specialist to work in the Daytona State College – UCF Writing Center. The position will provide individual and small-group writing assistance to UCF and Daytona State College (DSC) students, faculty, and staff from across the disciplines. Assisting writers at every stage of the process, from brainstorming, to gathering and deciphering sources, to drafting, to revising, to learning to proofread and edit, this employee will work with writers on both academic assignments and out-of-class writing, such as cover letters, application essays, and personal statements.
In addition to providing both face-to-face and online writing support, this position will consult with faculty about developing writing assignments and assessing students’ writing. This employee will also collaborate with DSC-UCF Writing Center staff to create materials to support the Writing Center (such as handouts, digital tutorials, workshops), and report on the usage data of UCF students in the DSC-UCF Writing Center.
Job duties include:
- Tutors students from UCF and DSC in the DSC-UCF Writing Center.
- Consults with faculty to assist in writing assignment development and assessment.
- Assists DSC administration with ongoing Writing Center projects, as well as data management.
- Collaborates with DSC-UCF Writing Center staff to create materials to support the Writing Center.
- Reports on the usage data of UCF students in the DSC-UCF Writing Center to UCF and UCF Daytona administrations.
- Assists the DSC Chair of Academic Support and Associate Director in writing center operations and planning.
- Provides tutoring at DSC regional campus when needed and possible.
The University requires that all applicants must apply online. The posting for this position is located at: https://www.jobswithucf.com/postings/46540. In order to be fully considered by the department, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for three professional references who have supervised you directly. Please ensure that all information submitted is accurate. Selected candidate will be required to provide official transcripts.