Rice University’s Program in Writing and Communication seeks applicants for a two-year, nonrenewable instructor position in Visual Communication. This is a full-time, benefits eligible position that resembles a post-doctoral fellowship.
The primary focus of this position is to collaborate with the faculty and staff of the Program in Writing and Communication (PWC) and its partners to advance visual communication across the various schools, departments, and programs at Rice.
· Teach 2-3 upper or lower-division courses on visual and multimodal communication per year;
· Develop workshops for faculty, graduate, and undergraduate students
· Plan and oversee a symposium on visual and multimodal communication pedagogy in second year of the appointment
· Launch a collaboration with the Center for Written, Oral, and Visual Communication
· A PhD awarded, or all PhD requirements fulfilled, between 2012- June 1, 2017. A PhD on visual or multimodal communication or a related discipline that strongly emphasizes one of these areas is required.
Successful teaching experience at the university level.
• Demonstrated commitment to research and scholarship.
• Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with faculty and students.
• Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop)
• Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills.
· Commitment to developing serious, critical, and theoretical programs in visual and multimodal communication
• Experience creating training materials for different academic audiences
• Experience producing multi-modal scholarship
• Experience visualizing experiments and producing graphs
• Experience leveraging interactive multimedia in scholarly pedagogy
• Proficiency with quantitative and visualization tools such as R, Tableau, GIS, Tableau, D3.js
• Knowledge of computer-aided drawing tools (CAD)
• Experience in academic events planning
• Experience promoting programs and/or services
Interested candidates must apply online: http://jobs.rice.edu/postings/9512. The application deadline is Tuesday, February 28, 2017.
For more information, please contact Dr. Jennifer Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org), Director of the Center for Written, Oral, & Visual Communication at Rice University.